Jeremiah 29:11-13

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Reluctant Missionary, Part 1

     I was born with a rebellious spirit.  I have a tender, generous heart, but my spirit often digs its heels in with a stubbornness that would shame even the most hard-headed mule.  To God's eternal credit, He is quite patient with me in this regard and over the last few years has sought to reign in this spirit of mine with gentleness and encouragement.  For this, I praise Him and thank Him.  
     Several years ago, in the summer of 2008, I drove my daughter to our church to meet with the other youth to load up for a mission trip to Mexico.  It was a good size group of teens, college kids and adults, including  our pastor, Steve, his wife, Karen and two of their own children.  I felt pretty comfortable sending my daughter with them, although I had not bothered to research anything about that particular area of Mexico or the purpose of the mission.  It was a hot, summer's morning and we parents stood in a giant circle in the parking lot while Steve said a prayer for safe travels and protection and that the mission would be for God's glory.  Something in me began to stir and suddenly I was very disappointed and a little jealous that I wasn't going.  The feelings came out of nowhere and once felt, I could not shake them.  Then Steve turned to me and said, "Maybe you could go next time.  We could certainly use your help since you speak Spanish."  I was a little startled not only that my pastor knew I could speak a little Spanish, but that he seemed to have read my mind at that moment and knew I wanted to go...  I made up my mind on my way home after tearfully hugging my child good-bye, that I would definitely go the next year.  
     The months passed and I thought off and on that I needed to get my passport renewed, but never quite got around to it.  You see, I had already begun arguing with God that maybe this year wouldn't be the right time after all.  I was in a struggling relationship, financially strapped, stressed out, you name it.  I had the excuses lined up and laid out for God to see.  I had my arguments and my reasons ready.  Then news came that there had been an assassination of the police chief in Piedras Negras, Mexico just across the street from the hotel where they had stayed before.  Steve made the call that we should postpone our trip and do something stateside instead.  I remember breathing a sigh of relief.  I wasn't ready for Mexico and now I didn't have to go.  See, God, I told You.
     The decision was made to go to New Orleans instead and work with a church that had been destroyed by Katrina.  My daughter and I debated for several weeks about going.  None of her close friends were going this time and it just didn't seem as exotic and exciting as going to Mexico would have been.  This would be my first mission trip and I just didn't think I could get that fired up about going to New Orleans.  We prayed about it and finally decided to go.  It was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life.  I didn't realize it then, but God was preparing me for a place called Nava...


     Matthew 25: 35-40
"35. For I was hungry and you gave Me food.  I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink.  I was a stranger and you brought Me together with yourselves and welcomed and entertained and lodged me.  36. I was naked and you clothed Me.  I was sick and you visited Me with help and ministering care.  I was in prison and came to see Me.  37.  Then the just and upright will answer Him, Lord, when did we see You hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave You something to eat?  38. And when did we see You a stranger and welcomed and entertained You, or naked and clothed You?  39.  And when did we see You sick or in prison and came to visit you?  40.  And the King will reply to them, Truly I tell you, in so far as you did it for one of the least of these My brethren, you did it for Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment