Jeremiah 29:11-13

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Days

"Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow."


     When I was in the seventh grade, I memorized this poem by Robert Frost, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening."  I can still recite the entire poem from start to finish, but amazingly that same year I memorized hundreds of other lines of poetry by Mr. Frost, my favorite poet.  For some reason, this is the one I can remember best.  Every single time it snows, I think of that year of school and my determination to memorize as many poems as I could, but most of all I love the way the words come unbidden to my mind.


     I'm going on day three now of a snow-bound existence in my little house on the top of Coventry Drive.  I do not do well with isolation or having my freedom curtailed in any way.  Yesterday I managed to lollygag around, as we say here in the South, doing a little cooking, a little laundry, a little blogging....I even watched Dr. Phil and The Bachelor.  Today I was ready for a project and spent about 8 hours cleaning out my closet, only managing to get about half-way finished.  During the purging and tidying, I found myself getting extremely sentimental, sometimes to the point of tears as I discovered purses and wallets full of photographs of my baby girl and boy, clothes I wore when I was a young mom and small pieces of luggage still filled with mementos of trips I took with my kids to Chattanooga, Atlanta and Seagrove.  My closet was sort of like a giant time capsule, full of souvenirs of motherhood and marriage.  Where did that young wife and mother go? She seems a bit like a stranger to me now, although I love the pure heart and earnest dreams of that girl...


     When I was in middle school, I read all The Little House books and loved to imagine I was Laura Ingalls riding in a covered wagon, living in a log cabin and playing on the banks of Plum Creek.  I was a bit obsessed with her and just knew that I would have made an outstanding prairie girl.  One of the books in particular, The Long Winter, appealed to my romantic 12 year old self and I would daydream about being snow-bound with my loving family, isolated from the world in a silent shroud of white.  Of course, snowy days were few and far between to us little Georgia girls and it just seemed to be the most cozy, idyllic concept fathomable.  Now, I just wonder if our power is going to stay on and how far off spring break really is?


    On the first morning of snow in 2011, I looked out at a pristine, glistening landscape and marveled at God's handiwork as I do with most of His seasons and I was grateful for a little confinement and a little stillness.  Now, I am eager to return to my daily routine of lunching with my girlfriends, teaching my precious little students and taking my dog Harley out for a little stroll without fear of busting my butt on the driveway.  I am so thankful to be a Southern girl whose experience with ice and snow is limited and I am in awe and just a little bewildered at those Northern friends of mine who choose this as a way of life in the winter.  


    Thanks to my friend, Shay, who braved the hills of Woodfin and got me out tonight for sushi.  She was as stir-crazy as I was and it was nice to escape my icy fortress with her for a little while... 


"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep, 
And miles to go before I sleep."

4 comments:

  1. I, too, cleaned out my closet the other day. I am procrastinating on cleaning out my bathroom drawers now. I can totally relate to the cabin fever and I pray that we are back in our routines by Thursday. Thank you for sharing your thoughts today...and for the record...I knew you as a young mom and you don't seem that different to me now. You have always been an exceptional mother and I look up to you in so many ways. If my 3 grow to be anything like AC and Hampton, I will be proud! I hope to see you out and about VERY soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lauren! I think you are an exceptional mother too and it is very humbling to know you look up to me :) You know I love your girls and it is a joy to teach them just like I taught you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very talented writer, that I did not know about you. I do know that you are still pure of heart, and an excellent friend. I ponder at the thankfulness I have towards God for bringing you into my life. You are truly a gift from God, to me. Isn't it cool, how God knows who we will need in our life travels? You give me joy and laughter just when I need it. You give me comfort in times of trouble, and most of all you are always near when I am hungry!!!! I think you are an extrordinary Mom. your children are so lucky to have you. They know it already. Sometimes we have to wait years to hear them say it, but yours know it now. Keep writing, I love reading it! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you, too, Karen! You are so right that God knows what friends we will need during our journey... I thank Him for you :)

    ReplyDelete